Over 8000 yummy recipes in the database!

Friday, December 25, 2009

Red Wine Poached Pears

They came out very red looking,and very spiced up
The hardest thing to do was to peel and core them
well the peeling was easy but the coring was very very
frustrating, it took me and hour to prepare a dozen pears.

Ingredients
2 cups red Zinfandel wine
2 cups water
(I used all wine no water)
1 cup granulated sugar
(I used 1/2 cup sugar)
4 star anise
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp five spice
(I just dumped some in the pot)
8 medium Bosc pears with stems

Directions
In a large stock pot heat wine, water, sugar, and star anise
just to boiling on high, stirring to dissolve sugar.
Meanwhile, peel pears, leaving stems on.

Which took me about an hour to prepare eight pears.
They say to use a melon baller to core pears.
Well I used a small paring knife.
After about a half hour I found that it was easier to cut them in half.

Place pears in wine mixture; heat to boiling.
Cover and simmer on low 10 to 15 minutes,
until pears are tender but still hold their shape,
turning occasionally.
Remove pears to platter; discard star anise.
Heat wine mixture to boiling on high. Cook 20 minutes,
uncovered, to thicken liquid and reduce to 1 1/2 cups.
Cover pears and syrup separately;
refrigerate 6 hours or up to 3 days.
To serve, spoon syrup over pears.

They came out of the pot soft yet firm, red wine colored.
But a little to of that spice taste for my taste.
I would prepare this again but with less spice
And they needed some salt.

.

No comments: