Over 8000 yummy recipes in the database!

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Deep Fried Whole Turkey

I've always wanted to get one of those
propane gas fired pots that are specially
made for deep frying a whole turkey.
A few years ago I watched as my neighbor
burnt her wooden deck down right quick.
So I kind of passed on the whole idea.
Until this year!
When the oil reached 350 degrees,
I dried the bird thoroughly, inside and out.
Then the turkey went on the rack,
Frying a whole turkey can be dangerous
if you’re not careful, but it’s not difficult.
About 40 minutes or so later,
I was pulling a beautiful,
golden-brown bird out of the pot.
A thermometer inserted into the breast
registered 160 degrees F.
I put the turkey on a plate
covered it with aluminum foil,
and let it rest for a few minutes..
Then I carved it. The turkey was visibly juicy.
Would the meat taste as good as it looked?
Simply: yes.
It was tender and full of flavo,
even the white meat that's usually dry,
this turkey breast meat may have been the
juiciest white turkey meat I’ve ever had.

No comments: